logo
Israeli army killing of Gaza aid workers 'deeply disturbing': UN rights chief
April 1, 2025
UN: Israel’s killing of aid workers ‘unacceptable’ as Gaza’s hunger crisis worsens
summary

Israeli army orders further evacuations for Gaza

Israel strikes Beirut, kills four and wounds several others

1,500+ humanitarian staff have been killed in Israel’s war on Gaza

US lawmakers mull sanctioning UN over Israel probe

For our live updates from Monday, March 31, click here

April 1, 2025
Israeli army killing of Gaza aid workers 'deeply disturbing': UN rights chief

The UN rights chief harshly condemned an Israel army attack last week on an emergency convoy that killed 15 aid workers and medical personnel and demanded an investigation.

"I condemn the attack by the Israeli army on a medical and emergency convoy on 23 March resulting in the killing of 15 medical personnel and humanitarian workers in Gaza," United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Turk said in a statement.

"The subsequent discovery of their bodies eight days later in Rafah, buried near their clearly marked destroyed vehicles, is deeply disturbing," he added.

April 1, 2025
US' Trump, Egypt's Sisi discuss Gaza, Houthis in phone call

US President Donald Trump and Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el Sisi discussed developments in Gaza and Yemen during a phone call.

Trump, on social media, praised the conversation, saying it “went very well.”

“We discussed numerous topics, among which was the tremendous Military progress we have made against the Ship destroying Houthis in Yemen,” he wrote.

April 1, 2025
UN denounces 'unacceptable' Israeli killing of humanitarian workers in Gaza

The UN called the killing by Israel of Palestinian medics and first responders who were on a rescue mission in southern Gaza as "unacceptable."

"We've had 283 of our colleagues, UNRWA (UN Agency for Palestinian Refugees) colleagues, killed in Gaza since October 7," 2023, spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said at a news conference, adding that at least "408 humanitarians, aid workers killed since the ceasefire broke down."

“All of that is unacceptable. Any targeting of humanitarian workers, of ambulance drivers who are doing their job is unacceptable," he said.

April 1, 2025
Illegal Israeli settlers injure 3 Palestinians, burn property in West Bank attack

Illegal Israeli settlers attacked the town of Duma, south of Nablus in the northern occupied West Bank, on Tuesday evening, injuring three Palestinians and setting fire to residents’ property, local sources reported.

The Palestinian Red Crescent Society said that its Nablus crews transported three injured individuals to the hospital following the assault.

April 1, 2025
Lebanese army says Israel fired at troops near border

The Lebanese army said it came under fire from Israeli forces while removing barriers erected by Israel in the Marjeyoun district in Odaisseh in southern Lebanon.

In a statement posted on X, the army said the operation was carried out in coordination with the UN Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) and aimed at dismantling newly constructed earthen barriers to reopen a road leading to a nearby hill.

“A unit from the army worked to remove new earthen barriers set up by the Israeli enemy in Odaisseh, Marjeyoun district,” it said.

Lebanese army says Israel fired at troops near border
April 1, 2025
UN calls Israeli claims of sufficient food in Gaza 'ridiculous'

The UN dismissed Israeli claims that there is enough food in Gaza, calling the assertion "ridiculous" as humanitarian supplies run dangerously low.

"As far as the UN (is) concerned, that's ridiculous. I mean, we are at the tail end of our supplies, of the UN, that came in through the humanitarian route," spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said at a news conference.

Dujarric emphasized the severity of the situation, stressing that the World Food Program (WFP) is struggling to maintain its operations.

"You know, WFP doesn't close its bakeries for fun," he said.

April 1, 2025
Netanyahu government recognises 28 new West Bank settlements

Former Israeli Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said that Netanyahu’s government has officially recognised 28 new settlements in the occupied West Bank since it came to power — the most significant expansion since 1967, according to the far-right politician.

In a lengthy post on X following a tour of settlements alongside Defense Minister Israel Katz and senior military officials, Smotrich hailed what he described as a “revolution” in settlement policy.

April 1, 2025
US lawmakers move to block weapons sales to Israel

A group of US lawmakers has introduced legislation to block the Trump administration from proceeding with several major weapons sales to Israel, citing concerns over civilian casualties in Gaza and potential violations of international law.

Democrats Pramila Jayapal and Rashida Tlaib – the first Palestinian American woman to serve in Congress – are leading the effort with four joint resolutions of disapproval targeting specific arms transfers.

The proposed measures would prohibit sales of weapons worth billions of dollars, including 35,529 powerful 2,000-pound bombs, various guidance systems for munitions, thousands of additional bombs, and armored bulldozers that have been used in demolishing Palestinian homes.

April 1, 2025
Minister says Israel 'here to stay' in occupied West Bank

Far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said Israel was "here to stay" during a tour of the occupied West Bank, defending Israeli settlements in the territory despite their illegality under international law.

Both Smotrich and Defence Minister Israel Katz, who accompanied him, denounced what they called "illegal" construction by Palestinians as the main challenge to Israeli expansion in the West Bank, which a UN court has said it is obliged to halt.

"Judea and Samaria," Smotrich said, employing the Biblical name Israel uses for the West Bank, are "the cradle of our homeland, the land of the Bible. We are here to stay."

April 1, 2025
Yemen's Houthi group reports 22 US raids on Sanaa, Saada provinces

The Yemeni Houthi group said that US warplanes conducted 22 raids recently in areas in the northern provinces of Sanaa and Saada.

Houthi-run Al-Masirah TV said US warplanes targeted the Jarban area in the Sanhan district in southeastern Sanaa at dawn with five air strikes, and the Bani Matar district in western Sanaa, with two strikes.

Yemen's Houthi group reports 22 US raids on Sanaa, Saada provinces
Sneak a peek at TRT Global. Share your feedback!
Contact us