AFRICA
2 min read
Sudan's army 'recaptures' presidential palace from RSF
The presidential palace had been in the hands of paramilitary Rapid Support Forces since 2023 when the war broke out.
Sudan's army 'recaptures' presidential palace from RSF
Abdel Fattah al-Burhan heads the Sudan Sovereign Council.
March 21, 2025

Sudan's army says it has recaptured the presidential palace in the capital Khartoum from the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces on Friday after a fierce battle.

"Our forces completely destroyed the enemy's fighters and equipment, and seized large quantities of equipment and weapons," army spokesman Nabil Abdallah said in a statement broadcast on state television.

Abdallah vowed the army would "continue to progress on all fronts until victory is complete and every inch of our country is purged of the militia and its supporters".

On social media, soldiers shared videos appearing to be inside the presidential palace, exchanging congratulations.

A Sudanese army source said three journalists were killed in a paramilitary drone strike on Khartoum's presidential palace, hours after the military recaptured it on Friday, AFP news agency reports.

The journalists had been reporting for Sudanese state television when the Rapid Support Forces "militia targeted the Republican Palace" with a one-way attack drone, it added, quoting the unnamed source.

Long battles

TRT Global - Sudan army seizes strategic locations in Khartoum from RSF

TRT Global - The Sudanese army says it has gained control of strategic locations in central Khartoum from the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF).

🔗

Paramilitary forces occupied the palace in April 2023, when war broke out between the RSF and the army.

At the time, the RSF swiftly took over the streets of Khartoum, with the army-aligned government moving to Port Sudan on the Red Sea coast.

Central Khartoum, where the presidential palace stands alongside ministries and the capital's business district, has been the site of fierce battles in recent months, after army troops surged through the city.

Earlier this week, the army said its forces had merged from the north and south, hemming in the RSF. In nearly two years, which has killed tens of thousands of people, uprooted over 12 million and created the world's largest hunger and displacement crises.

SOURCE:AFP
Sneak a peek at TRT Global. Share your feedback!
Contact us